Log in or Register for enhanced features | Forgotten Password?
White Papers | Suppliers | Events | Report Store | Companies | Dining Club | Videos
Green Power
Return to: CTBR Home | Green Power | Wind

Nordex to deliver turbines for Thunder Spirit wind farm in North Dakota, US

CTBR Staff Writer Published 27 November 2014

Germany-based Nordex has won a contract to supply turbines to the 107.5MW Thunder Spirit wind farm in Adams County, North Dakota, US.


Nordex will deliver 43 N100 2.5MW turbines for the project and the deal includes a five-year service contract.

The wind farm will generate enough energy for more than 39,000 local homes with an annual yield of about 426GWh.

A regional utility will buy the electricity generated from the project under a power purchase agreement.

Work on the wind farm's infrastructure is underway and Nordex will supply the initial turbines in mid-August 2015 with towers starting end of July 2015.

The wind farm, which will be connected to the grid, is expected to start operations in December 2015.

Wind Works Power has originally developed the Thunder Spirit project and sold it to ACE Wind, a subsidiary of ALLETE Clean Energy (ACE), for about $27m.

ACE will build the project and sell it under contract to Montana Dakota Utilities.

The Thunder Spirit project was started in 2006 by Global Winds Harvest.

In 2011, Wind Works acquired a 75% equity interest in the project and in 2013 the company exercised its option to acquire the remaining 25% stake.

An interconnection agreement was signed in February 2012 for 150MW with the Midcontinent Independent System Operator`s power market.

The project received siting permit from Adams County and a certificate of site compatibility from the North Dakota Public Services Commission in 2013.

Image: Nordex will deliver 43 N100 2.5MW turbines for the Thunder Spirit wind farm in US. Photo: Courtesy of Nordex SE.