Log in or Register for enhanced features | Forgotten Password?
White Papers | Suppliers | Events | Report Store | Companies | Dining Club | Videos
Green Power
Wind
Return to: CTBR Home | Green Power | Wind

Green GECCO commissions Düsdorfer Heide wind farm in Germany

CTBR Staff Writer Published 24 November 2014

Green GECCO, a joint venture (JV) between RWE Innogy and 29 German municipal utilities, has commissioned the 26MW Düsdorfer Heide onshore wind farm at Walsrode in Lower Saxony.

Wind farm

The facility extends the JV's portfolio to more than 80MW of installed capacity throughout Europe.

The Düsdorfer Heide wind farm features 13 Enercon E-82 turbines with a hub height of 108m and a rotor diameter of 82m.

The wind farm generates up to 53,500 megawatt-hours of energy per year for about 16,000 households and reduces more than 40,000 tons of CO2 emissions.

Green GECCO management member and representative of the municipal utility partners Norbert Ohlms said: "At Green GECCO, 30 strong partners together make their contribution to the energy transition and have built up a broad-based wind portfolio.

"Our five wind farms are in a position to produce eco-friendly power for over 55,000 households. In purely arithmetical terms, we would thus be able to supply a mid-sized city."

RWE Innogy owns 51% stake in Green GECCO, which intends to develop renewable energy projects. The municipal utilities hold the remaining 49% interest in the JV.

The collaboration covers German and other European projects in the fields of biomass, biogas, geothermal energy, wind power, water and solar thermal energy.

The JV is planning to invest about €1bn in the production of heat and energy from renewable sources by 2020.

Image: The Düsdorfer Heide wind farm features 13 Enercon E-82 turbines. Photo: Courtesy of RWE Innogy.