Log in or Register for enhanced features | Forgotten Password?
White Papers | Suppliers | Events | Report Store | Companies | Dining Club | Videos
Green Power
Wind
Return to: CTBR Home | Green Power | Wind

DanTysk offshore wind farm supplies first electricity to German power grid

CTBR Staff Writer Published 04 December 2014

Vattenfall and Stadtwerke Muenchen have exported first power at the 288MW DanTysk offshore wind farm in the German North Sea.

DanTysk

Located 70km west of the island of Sylt, the wind farm features 80 Siemens 3.6MW turbines that will be monitored by Vattenfall's surveillance centre in Esbjerg, Denmark.

The facility will be capable of generating 1.3 TWh of electricity per year for about 400,000 homes in Germany.

The wind farm is expected to be fully connected to the grid by spring 2015.

Construction work on the wind farm started in mid-April this year and the installation of 80 turbines was completed in around four months.

Vattenfall owns a 51% stake in the wind farm and Stadtwerke München holds the remaining 49% interest.

Vattenfall CEO Magnus Hall said: "The outlook for wind power in Europe is very positive and Vattenfall will invest SEK 11 billion in wind projects over the next four years. Renewables will be Vattenfall's core business.

"Today, it is cheaper to construct onshore wind farms but costs for building offshore wind farms have fallen considerably."

The DanTysk offshore wind farm covers an area of 70km² in the German Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) on the border to Danish territorial waters.

The wind farm will be connected to the mainland through the Sylwin 1 grid connection, which will link up the converter platform Sylwin alpha, located directly next to the facility, with the substation in the town of Büttel in Schleswig-Holstein.

Image: The DanTysk offshore wind farm features 80 Siemens 3.6MW turbines. Photo: Courtesy of Vattenfall.