Log in or Register for enhanced features | Forgotten Password?
White Papers | Suppliers | Events | Report Store | Companies | Dining Club | Videos
Green Power
Wind
Return to: CTBR Home | Green Power | Wind

DanTysk offshore wind farm opens in German North Sea

CTBR Staff Writer Published 01 May 2015

The 288MW DanTysk offshore wind farm has formally opened in the German North Sea.

Offshore wind farm

Located 70km west of the island of Sylt, the wind farm features 80 Siemens 3.6MW turbines that generate 1.3 TWh of electricity per year for over 400,000 homes in Germany.

Construction work on the wind farm started in mid-April 2014 and the turbine installation was completed in around four months.

Vattenfall owns 51% stake in the wind farm and the remaining 49% interest is held by Stadtwerke München (SWM).

The wind farm covers an area of 70km² in the German Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) on the border to Danish territorial waters.

The facility will be connected to the mainland through the Sylwin 1 submarine cable grid connection, which will link up the Sylwin alpha converter platform, located next to the facility, with the substation in the town of Büttel in Schleswig-Holstein.

German Federal Minister for Economic Affairs Sigmar Gabriel said: "By 2030 there should be 15 gigawatts of installed capacity, amounting to a capital investment of several billion Euros in wind farms and infrastructure, with high added value for Germany.

"Together with the DanTysk wind farm, by the end of this year Germany will generate green power from more than 3,000 megawatts of installed offshore capacity. That is a real boost for the energy transition."

Vattenfall and SWM are also working on the construction of the 288MW Sandbank offshore wind farm in the German North Sea.

The Sandbank wind farm, which is expected to cost €1.2bn, will be built near DanTysk in the summer of 2015.


Image: The DanTysk offshore wind farm features 80 Siemens 3.6MW turbines. Photo: courtesy of Vattenfall.