Log in or Register for enhanced features | Forgotten Password?
White Papers | Suppliers | Events | Report Store | Companies | Dining Club | Videos
Green Power
Wind
Return to: CTBR Home | Green Power | Wind

Alstom, Andrade Gutierrez open new wind turbines manufacturing facility in Brazil

CTBR Staff Writer Published 02 February 2015

Alstom and Andrade Gutierrez have opened a new wind turbines manufacturing facility in Brazil.

Torres Eolicas do Nordeste

The €30m Torres Eolicas do Nordeste plant at Jacobina in Bahia will manufacture up to 200 wind turbine steel towers per year.

The facility occupies a 22,000m² built-up area on a 140,000m² plot, next to the main existing and possible wind projects of the region.

The plant will employ 250 people and create 600 indirect jobs once it starts operations.

Alstom owns 49% stake in the JV project and the remaining 51% interest is held by Andrade Gutierrez.

Alstom Wind business senior vice president Yves Rannou said: "Brazil should enter very soon the ranking of the largest wind power producers in the world.

"So it is particularly gratifying for Alstom to open this new plant in Brazil and contribute to this growth."

Alstom said Jacobina is its third wind factory in Latin America.

The company opened the first one in 2011 in Bahia to manufacture nacelles and the second one was inaugurated in 2013 in Rio Grande do Sul to produce towers for Brazil's south market and neighboring countries like Argentina, Chile and Uruguay.

Alstom has already deployed more than 3,000 wind turbines in over 200 global wind farms, which generate 5.8GW of energy.

Image: The Torres Eolicas do Nordeste plant at Jacobina in Bahia will manufacture up to 200 wind turbine steel towers per year. Photo: Courtesy of Alstom.